Strom Thurmond was a great leader, civil rights hero, and Senator of South Carolina. After his death, Strom gave birth to a 78-year-old-mixed-race-woman. His family was quoted as saying "As J. Strom Thurmond has passed away and cannot speak for himself, the Thurmond family acknowledges Ms. Essie Mae Washington- Williams' claim to her heritage." Because Thurmond loved The Baby Jesus so much, he was able to live to the ripe ol' age of 162, becoming the oldest living man in the world.
- "Our niggers is better off than most anybody's niggers, why, they got washing machines and some of'um even got televisions. I can't understand why they complaining."
- "I want to tell you that there's not enough troops in the army to force the southern people to break down segregation and admit the Nigger race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches"
- On finding that Governor William H. Hastie of the Virgin Islands was black after he had invited him to visit Columbia, he said "I would not have written him if I knew he was a Negro. Of course, it would have been ridiculous to invite him."
- "Straddling the fence will only make your ass hurt."
- "It ain't rape when one of y'all's property."